Friday, September 08, 2006

Did I Mention Charlie Nothing?.....Jack Rose's 'Untitled I & II' 7" ep


When I got this record I must've stared at it for what seemed like an eternity. That's 'cause I was catapulted via flashbacks to past life experiences (of my own doin). Immediately I was reminded of that Ike Yard 'Night After Night' ep from the early 80's. Remember it? That was some minimalist electro-synth action for sure. Then my brain got to spinnin like a blender full've daiquiri & as I opened my eyes I felt like I was holdin the Gordons 'Future Shock' ep again, circa, back in the old days. What a pounder that one was! A 1st rate shit kicker. And yet nobody knew. Emmitt, the one-legged mushroom forager that get's me my Morels had a look at it & said it reminded him of Flying Saucer Attack. Not the band either! So I stabbed him. Ha! Just kidding (actually, he fell on the knife, but he claims I pushed him. Good luck w/that one Emmitt! It'll never hold up in court). Basically what I'm sayin is cover's like this one-w/blurred urban landscapes or UFO's zippin around or whatever-hold a certain mystique. You assume the bands what's represented by said artwork can morph 'n cloak at a moment's notice & maybe that's true. But if you don't need to, why bother? Like 'Night After Night' & 'Future Shock', w/'Untitled I & II you get what you get. No masks, no capes, the energy emitted is strictly skin + steel. It just feels super powerful 'cause it already is. Jack Rose's abilities as a string bender precede him & w/good reason. On this ep his opening timbre is august, his chords channeling the wind like an Anemoi, gusting across both sides at a spirited & soothing pace. It's as warm & welcome as a June rain. Folk's is always comparin Jack to sombody, but I forget who. Is it Rick Ruskin? I don't think so. Cal Hand? That don't sound right. Tut Taylor? Could be. Colin Winsky? Are you kiddin? Whoever it is, I believe it's about time said comparison took a nap. Jack Rose is sittin in the catbird seat on his own & it's a fine spot to pick a guitar as well as a nice vantage to check out all the bother. Wait a minute, is it Rollo Smith? Nope. Shit! It'll come to me one of these days. In the meantime, check out this ep via http://www.tequilasunriserecords.com/
it's a #rd edition of 500 & sure to be gone before you can say 'Mike Condello' (that ain't it neither).

No comments: